A Vegan Weekend

So far my first couple of days eating vegan have been pretty good and I do feel great ... a few slips here and there, that dairy I tell ya, it just sneaks up on you - but overall it's been good and pretty easy!

This morning I made Pumpkin Bread (p. 202) from Alicia Silverstone's book The Kind Diet.  I made a few adjustments and actually made half of what the recipe called for and I still had enough for two loaves.
I think I used WAY too much pumpkin puree though, it came out a lot moisture then expected but it was still delicious and not too sweet which I liked.  I substituted the maple sugar and syrup for agave nectar and used rice milk instead of nut milk.
You can see how the bottom is a little soggier then the rest, probably from the pumpkin puree or water/flax seed combo.  Lesson here: Measure everything carefully!

This afternoon I also made a fantastic rice dish from her book (p.151).  It's a perfect quick dish to make if you have a busy week.  I made a big batch of it which should last me a few days for my weekday lunches.

Hot Rice with Cold Lemon, Basil, and Tomato
This recipe is slightly altered but the original recipe if from The Kind Diet, p. 151

1 cup I used brown rice
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
3 pinches of sea salt
2 pinches or more of fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup or more of grape tomatoes cut in half
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil

Cook Rice as directed (I used a rice cooker).  Once cooked transfer the rice to a mixing bowl.
Add the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
Mix everything well, add the tomatoes and sprinkle with basil.
Toss to combine, and serve.


For dinner, I had one serving of this rice dish with a cup of cooked red beans with hummus (for the protein protein of my meal).  It was quick, simple, clean, vegan and more importantly satisfyingly delicious! :)