Pizza is Usually my Favorite Comfort Food

I've realised this week that eating vegan hasn't really been a stretch from my usual diet.  Granted, there have been a lot more carbs then I would normally like to eat but that's mostly on my part and I know with time I'll figure out a good protein to carb ratio for me.

The biggest challenge this week, you know, besides trying too cook and bake after my bike accident, was attending a work BBQ and smelling all the meat cooking on the grill and being strong enough to resist eating any of it, which I was! :)  The veggies burger was actually so good that I didn't feel I was missing anything.

Today I made this "pizza" if you can call it that.  The crust was amazing but already made and the veggies well, I love mushrooms but I, until now, have never actually tried radicchio.

The Lesson: If cooking with something new, taste it first before you start cooking with it, surprise, you might not like it.

The pizza came out great, I didn't have truffle oil but I used truffle infused olive oil (VERY expensive though, I think regular olive oil is fine enough) and overall it cooked well and came together but the major downfall, I did NOT like the radicchio - hello, bitter much!?

Not my first choice a vegetable to go on a pizza that's for sure lol!

The Lesson: You can't win them all - some things you'll love and some things will just taste awful.  That's the amazing thing about being a self-taught baker and cook, you learn through experience and trial-and-error, that's how you improve and learn what tastes great or not.

I still share this recipe with you because perhaps you'll have better luck then I, perhaps you'll love radicchio as much as I love kale (another vegetable with an acquired taste).  My only suggestion for next time: I would probably buy some soy or rice based feta cheese to sprinkle on top.

Vegan Radicchio Pizza with Truffle Oil
This recipe has been altered, the original recipe is from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone
Serves 2 to 4

1 large head radicchio
Truffle infused olive oil
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 fresh healthy whole wheat crust (I used an already cooked crust)
5 large mushrooms chopped
1. Cut the radicchio in half, then slice each half crosswise into thin ribbons (as thin as possible).

2. Dress the radicchio and mushrooms with enough truffle infused oil, salt, and pepper, to taste.

3. Preheat the oven to 415 degrees F.

4. Toast the pizza crust in the oven for 7 minutes or until it is heated through and slightly golden but not crunchy.

5. Scatter the dressed vegetables over the pizza crust and return to the oven for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the radicchio is warm and just starting to wilt. Serve immediately.