Bike Helmets and Vegan Oatmeal Cookies


So yesterday, as I eagerly rode my bike to my boxing class, I learned a very valuable lesson: the importance of bike helmets.  It's been raining for a few days here in Toronto but I was certain the Don River path would be okay, as long as I paid attention and didn't ride too fast.  Famous last words!

Coming down a hill, after picking up some good speed climbing up the other side of it, I didn't expect that a mud patch just ahead would make my night, but it did.

All I remember is trying to avoid the mud but then losing control of the bike, flying head first off of it landing on my bad left knee and left hand (both bruised and scratched up pretty good) and then somehow gliding on the pavement, scraping my whole right arm and hitting my helmet-protected head on the bike handles ... I think ... it's all a blur now but I definitely do remember feeling my head being hit and thanking my lucky stars that I wore my helmet!

It could have been way worse! No sprained anything or broken bones (knock on wood) and I was able to pick myself up (after sobbing on the ground for about 10 minutes) walk my bike back up a fifth of the way to meet a very friendly neighbour who picked me up.

Second Lesson: Get to know your neighbours! You never know when you might need a hand and you'd be surprised at how willing some people are in helping you.

So after my initial shock, anger, frustration and pain what was my next logical thought? To bake cookies of course! lol Which I did after I cleaned myself up, dusted myself off and scolded my dog for trying to lick my wounds.

These cookies were quick and easy to make and tasted amazing, in my opinion, they were the perfect remedy after my accident - that and the lovely glass of white wine I shared with two fellow neighbours in my building who also came to my rescue!

Thanks to Craig, Sarah and Georgina ...
I have the best neighbours in the City!

Oatmeal, Walnut and Dried Cherry Cookies
This recipe has been adapted, the original recipe is from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone


Makes 10 to 12 cookies

1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
3/4 cup gluten-free flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/3 cup demerara sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. molasses
1/4 cup chopped dried cherries
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the syrup, oil, vanilla extract, and molasses. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Fold in the dried cherries and nuts.

Using your hands, roll tablespoon-size scoops of dough into balls. Place the balls onto the prepared baking sheet and press down slightly on the balls to flatten the tops. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a baking rack to cool completely.