Good Morning Granola

 I really love breakfast! It is probably my favourite meal of the day and it's the best meal to truly carb-load, guilt free.  Last night I made granola from The Kind Diet book to try this morning for breakfast.


 I had a bowl of organic rice puffs topped off with one sliced banana and a 1/3 cup of the granola and rice milk.

This organic cereal is fantastic, its not sweet at all but it fills me up and is light and healthy, much better for you then traditional cereals.  Just add fruit or a spoonful of agave for sweetness.  I also find if I use less of this cereal then I normally would with traditional out-of-the-box cereals and just add other things like fruit and granola and I still feel satisfied and the cereal last longer (buying organic can be costly!)






Mom’s Granola
Recipe from The Kind Diet, p. 201


Makes 2 Quarts

6 cups quick-cooking oats
½ cup maple sugar (I used Demerara Sugar, it's what I had on hand)
¾ cup wheat germ
½ cup shredded coconut
½ cup sesame or sunflower seeds
1 cup chopped nuts or raisins
½ cup salflower oil
1/3 cup maple syrup
1.5 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F

Spread the oats on a rimmed baking pan and bake for about 10 minutes. Transfer the oats to a large mixing bowl, and add the sugar, wheat germ, coconut, seeds, and nuts or raisins. Stir to mix well, then add the oil, syrup, and vanilla extract. Mix until everything is moistened.

Spread half of the mixture on each of 2 rimmed baking sheets (or bake in 2 batches), and bake for 10 minutes. Stir after 5 minutes to brown evenly.

Let the baked granola cool on the pans, then transfer to a bowl and still until crumbly. Store in an airtight container.