How Kind Am I?


This week I started reading Alicia Silverstone’s book The Kind Diet. Now, I’ve read other vegetarian, vegan, even raw cookbooks before and tons of information on why eating meat is not only morally wrong but ethically and environmentally wrong too. However, no other book has hit home more for me than hers so far. Not sure why really, I mean I know she’s not an expert but she does speak from personal experience and does cover a lot of research and facts – some stuff that I really didn’t want to hear but know it's probably true.

Her book since has inspired me, yet again and frankly it’s really turned me off of eating meat and dairy all together but one step at a time. I gave up eating red meat years ago and recently tried a vegetarian diet (just couldn’t give up eggs to go vegan!)

However, the more I read and the more I learn the more determined I have become to "be kind." Now I’m no preacher and I definitely am not one to judge others, everyone is free to live and do what they feel is right for them, I appreciate that.  For me, I strive to always do what’s right for me and what feels good for me (okay, not always, yes I have indulged many, many, MANY times eating chocolate and other very, very bad things) but what I liked about her book is that it got me thinking … what’s right for the world, for the environment?

After all, it’s not all about me!

I would like to think that I try my best to live green, to reduce, reuse, recycle, etc. etc. but when it comes to food how much thought do we really give as to where that food came from? I mean really came from and how? When you really start to think about it it’s actually a very scary thought!

I guess what I am getting at here is that as much as I strive to live a better, healthier lifestyle have I really considered how I've tried to better the world or the environment beyond changing a light bulb or turning my office computer off each night? Have I considered that in fact, eating vegan could in turn improve my health and lifestyle even further!?

So, like everything else I do in my life, I’ve set a goal for myself …

The Challenge: Starting today I am going to try to lead a strictly vegan lifestyle and diet, with the help of her book of course. Starting on Sunday I will blog one recipe a day until next Friday (June 18th) that I have tried and I’m sure enjoyed!

Here's a sneak peek at some of the goodies in her book:

This one kind of reminds me of the Cranberry Kale Salad I made, can't wait to try this one!

 

I miss eggs already :(