I Should Have Listened to my Mother

For years my mother has been making this amazing Portuguese Collard Greens soup, don't know the name of it and don't have the recipe (yet!) but she always said it was good for me.  I didn't believe her but mostly because I didn't want to eat that weird dark green veggie soup!  I should have listened ... collards are amazingly good for us, similar to kale, they are a leafy green vegetable pack full of vitamins.

I tried out this fantastic recipe from The Kind Diet last night and loved it!


Sicilian Collard Greens
Original recipe from The Kind Diet p. 176

Serves 2 or 3

1 bunch of collard greens
2 Tbsp pine nuts
3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp raisins
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar

Use a sharp knife to out the central rib and stem from each collard leaf.  Rinse the leaves in a sink of cool water, lifting them into a colander to drains a it (you want some water to remain on the leaves).

Toast the pine nuts over medium heat in a dry skilled for about 5 minutes or until golden.  Shake the pan often to keep the pine nuts from burning.  Transfer to a plate and set aside.

Place the garlic and oil in a large skilled, and sauté over medium heat for 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant.  Add the damp collards and stir, then over the pan and cook for 2 minutes longer.  Add the raisins and pine nuts, and stir.  Cover and cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in the balsamic vinegar, cover,  and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer.