An Edible Vegan Self-Portrait

Recently, while planning my many mini summer vacations, I came across this fantastic upcoming August 2011 Vida Vegan Conference in Portland, Oregon.  I was however heart-broken to see that it was sold out!  So what's my next logical step?

Enter a contest to win tickets of course!

And so I found the best, most creative contest just perfect for me on Vegtastic Voyage blog.
  
The Contest: Recreate a completely vegan and edible self-portrait to win two tickets to Vida Vegan Con.
Steps to creating an edible food self-portrait ...


Step 1: Using parchment paper I drew out a contour image of my face.  My boyfriend was so impressed with this step alone ha ha, it was sweet.


Step 2: I covered the paper in plastic wrap more as a precautionary measure in case I messed up, and thank goodness I did that - the next steps get pretty messy!


Step 3: Prepping the ingredients.  In this case the cantaloupe which would now be my new skin.


Step 4: I started with my skin since it was the largest area to cover and then worked around it adding the other parts.  This part was tricky but cantaloupe worked like a charm! It was easy to cut out the perfect shaped pieces.


Step 5: Next my hair, which was made from cooked black rice Soba noodles.  Although I added oil during the cooking process the noodles were still very sticky and the biggest pain to work with.


Step 6: Once most of the surface area is covered it's onto the details like the eyes, mouth and then my shirt.


Step 7: Adding the final and finishing touches, the background, made of sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and walnuts.


Voila! My final food portrait in just under two hours.

Self-portrait made from: Cantaloupe, watermelon, apple, sesame seeds, black rice Soba noodles, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and dates.