Green Tip 2: Rinse or Not to Rinse?

This will likely be one of my biggest challenges because it is so ingrained in me to always rinse my dishes after I am done eating especially when if I'm not washing them right away and I don't want caked on food I'll have to scrub later.

Oh the dilemma, rinse my dishes and have them pile up until I have enough to justify washing in a 1/4-filled sink or don't rinse my dishes and wash them right away under running water??

Or do both: no rinse and wash in a batch.

Oh,  I cringe at the thought of touching those dirty dishes after hours have passed and it usually takes a whole day for my boyfriend and I to accumulate enough dishes to wash.  I suppose if the water is hot enough the food will come off easily and besides, it does save water and that's the whole point:

Skip rinsing dishes before using your dishwasher and save up to 20 gallons of water each load. Plus, you're saving time and the energy used to heat the additional water.

50 Ways to Help