Freshii Inspired Meal Time Plan

This week I had been enjoying salads from Freshii, a great little food shop which I now LOVE! It is definitely on my top 10 list of best healthy places to eat in Toronto (in my opinion).

However, because I will be traveling to Mozambique for Habitat for Humanity this summer, I have had to buckle down and start sticking to a serious budget, so going to Freshii 3-4 times a week, not going to cut it anymore!

Then I thought of a brilliant idea - at least I think so - I am going to bring Freshii to me! How you ask?

To first understand what I mean you have to visit their site, it's awesome, check out the menu section: http://www.freshii.com/ (can I have my money now please!)

THE IDEA

Stock up items listed on their menu (or at least the ones you like most) store them in the fridge, cupboard or freezer to have them ready to go when you want to make a quick and easy, yummy meal for lunch or dinner!

THE USUAL SUSPECTS

The Base of your meal
(bulk of your meal, at least 1/2 to 1 cup per person)
- Brown or Wild Rice (I mix them)
- Spring salad mix
- Spinach
- Soup broth
- Cooked Quinoa
- Whole wheat or Gluten-free wraps (your preference)

Vegetables
(fresh or frozen, about 1 cup total)
 
- Bean sprouts
- Beans
- Broccoli
- Carrots
- Celery
- Chick peas
- Corn
- Cucumbers
- Edamame
- Green onion
- Mushrooms
- Peppers
- Red onion
- Salad Mix (if using non-salad base)
- Spinach (if using non-salad base)
- Tomato
- Zucchini
Fruit
(fresh or frozen, about 1/3 cup)
- Blueberries
- Cranberries
- Green apple
- Green grapes
- Mandarin orange
- Mango
- Raspberries
- Strawberries
- Sweet apple
Dried Fruit (1 tbsp total)
- Apricot
- Cranberries
- Dates
- Mango
- Prunes
- Raisins
- Sun dried tomato
Seeds and Nuts
(aka your healthy fat, 1 tbsp total)
- Almonds
- Avocado
- Crispy Wontons
- Hemp seeds
- Dry roasted Peanuts
- Pecans
- Pumpkin seeds
- Soy nuts
- Sunflower seeds
- Walnuts

Protein & Dairy (depending, 1/4 - 1/2 or more if it's meat)

- Egg whites, scrambled
- Hard boiled eggs, sliced
- Roasted turkey breast
- Roasted Chicken breast
- Tofu, cubbed or crumbled
- Low-fat Turkey lunch meat
- Low-fat Chicken lunch meat
- White Tuna
- Turkey or chicken bacon

Dress it Up!
(any dressing you like, these are mine)

- Light: Balsamic Vinaigrette, Cucumber Dill
- Creamy: French dressing
- Sweet: Honey Mustard, Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Salty: Japanese Ginger. Soy Sauce


THE STEPS

Prepping

After I bought everything I spent about 1-2 hours, chopping, slicing and dicing, putting everything in Tupperware containers.  This step takes the longest but is the most important in making your weekly meal times quick and easy.

Storing

I personally like to eat fresh but I also have more time then most people to do the prep work when necessary.  Frozen or dried fruit and veggie options are a great alternative or addition to your meal because I think they will last longer and save you money in the long run.  I like to store everything in plastic or glass, reusable containers and jars - preferably clear ones so that I can quickly see what it is (I'm a visual learner).  You can also label your jars and containers for easy reference.



Let's Eat! Lunch and Dinner Ideas

Putting together this Salads are super easy:

1. Choose the base you want to start with and add it to a large bowl.
2. Add the toppings you want from the other categories.
3. Add the dressing of choice.
4. Toss all together and there you have it - your one-person or family size meal depending on who you're feeding.  If making a family-size meal, start with a larger base and add more toppings.


Here are a few example meals I ate this week:

1. Lettuce (base), tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, green apple, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, fat-free turkey deli meat; dressed up with  balsamic vinaigrette dressing (served cold).


2. Brown + Wild Rice (base), spinach, carrots, broccoli, tomato, yellow peppers, strawberries, walnuts, fat-free turkey deli meat; dressed up with balsamic vinaigrette dressing (served warm).



3. Rice noodle (base), Vegetable broth, spinach, carrots, broccoli, green onion, mushrooms, zucchini, almonds, tofu; added soy sauce for flavour (served hot).


Other Ideas

* If you like hot meals - turn any of the salad combos into a yummy stirfry

* If you want more carbs - add healthy rye bread or crackers to your salad.

* Top off any of your dishes with fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice or chopped fresh herbs of your choice.

If you have any dish ideas you'd like to see on my blog or suggestions you'd like to make, please email me: sarahlyn44@hotmail.com

Cheers!