I Can't Eat These Ripe Strawberries Fast Enough!

Living in Toronto has been an amazing 10+ years experience so far.  One of my most favourite things about the city, is the varitety of places you can go to get your groceries, from supermarkets to Asian markets to farmers markets - you name it!  Besides Farmers' markets in the summer my next favourite place to go is the local Asian fruit & veg markets, which are basically spread out all over the city.  It's true, in almost any given Toronto neighbourhood you are sure to find one.

One of the things I love about these markets is that you can always find ripe, ready to eat produce at very affordable prices, although the items are not always local I do my best to buy Ontario grown produce.  The problem I find, is that sometimes the food is a little too ripe that by the time I get it home and to my kitchen it's starting to turn. I encounter this problem mostly with the berries - more specificaly strawberries!

Hence, my dilemma - I can't always eat the strawberries fast enough!  My solution - gluten-free / fat-free honey strawberry bread! This bread was very yummy and freezes well if you want to save and savour it.



Strawberry Honey Bread
(Gluten-free & Fat-free)

Ingredients:
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 tsp baking powder (GF)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup fat-free soy milk
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 honey
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375F

2. Lightly coat a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan with coconut oil

3. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and baking soda

4. In a small bowl, lightly toss the strawberries with 1 Tbsp. of the flour mixture until strawberries are well coated and set aside

5. In another small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, orange juice concentrate, honey and oil.

6. Stir liquid ingredients with the dry ingredients until dry ingredients are moistened

7. Gently fold in the strawberries and spoon the batter into the pan.

8. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean

9. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack