First Mission: Gluten-Free Lime Bread


My new year resolution was to start eating more healthy, clean and gluten-free foods - not that I wasn't eating healthy already but I really wanted to change the way I see food, my lifestyle.

It's been about a month into my meat-free, dairy-free and gluten-free diet and I feel great!  (Still eating eggs though, sorry, just love them way too much to give them up just yet).

Over the holidays I bought myself a great little bread baking book, filled with great recipes but obviously none of them gluten-free so I challenged myself to make them so.  First recipe I tried...

Lime Bread (gluten-free)

Ingredients
- 3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder (gluten-free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cups plain soy milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp grated lime peel

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grease a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan (I used margarine to grease it) and set aside.

2. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.  In a separate bowl, combine milk, egg, oil, lime peel, and lime juice, stirring well.

3. Add wet ingredients to dry mixture once.  Stir just until moistened

4. Turn into a prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.  Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes then transfer bread to cooling rack.

**This bread will be a little denser then your usually sweet or white breads but it's oh so yummy!

Great as a side with soup or for breakfast!