My Detox Week of Mostly Raw Eating


After finding out that my fight was cancelled and with the Easter long weekend coming up I did what any normal person would do, I ate very, very bad food! Wait, is that normal? Well, it's not my norm and I don't condone it although falling off the health wagon once in a while is okay if done in moderation... unfortunately however, I don't do anything in moderation, I turned that one day of bad eating into 1 week!

It was not good. So, to detox, cleanse and clear my conscious I decided to focus on getting back to my healthy lifestyle and having mroe fun with my raw food meals!

Food I made, ate and loved this week ...

I revisited my ever wonderful Cranberry Kale Salad and ate it two nights in a row ... mmm, kale!

I also created a new, simple yet colourful little salad topped with, what is now most favourite dressing ever, a Japanese Ginger dressing (see picture above for the salad I made).


Trio Lunch Salad
A Sarah-Lyn original recipe :)

- 1/2 a head of romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 small or medium carrot, julienned
- 1 med red pepper, julienned
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp of your favourite dressing

1. Place the lettuce in a bowl, as the base layer, then add the carrots, red pepper and zucchini on top, keeping them separate.
2. Add the cherry or grape tomatoes to the middle of the trio of veggies.
3. Top off with the dressing or keep it in a separate small bowl for dipping.

I like to dip each bite of veggies into the dressing, that way I get some with every bite!


For dinner Tuesday night (and again for my lunch Wednesday) I made a fabulous fruit juice drink and raw tacos for myself and a friend. We both loved it!

Hot Pink
Recipe from the amazing book Raw Food/real World:100 Recipes To Get The Glowow by Matthew Kenney

- 1 medium beet
- 1/2 medium pineapple
- 1/2 pint of strawberries, stems removed
- 1 thumb-size knob of fresh ginger
Run all the ingredients through a juicer. Enjoy!

I found the pineapple juice really cuts the taste of the beet and the ginger really gives it some spice!

If you imagine really hard you can almost convince yourself it's wine!


Lettuce Shell Tacos
Original recipe from the book The Raw 50 by Carol Alt

- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium spanish onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (I omitted this, I hate parsley!)
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked for 2hrs
- 1.2 jalapeno peppers
- 1/2 tsp salt (I omitted this too)
- 1/4 block of firm tofu, cut into bite size pieces (I added this for protein)
- 6 medium romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dryed

1. Cut the avocado into bite-size chunks and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Chop the onion a food processor, and then add the cumin, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and jalapenos. Process the mixture until it is smooth and creamy.
2. Add the mixture to the chopped avocado and add the tofu, mixing just enough so it's mostly covered.
3. Distribute the taco filling equally among the six lettuce leaves and then fold the ends of the lettuce together like a taco. (I folded it more like a burrito, to keep the mixture in)


For Thursday night dinner I wanted to experiment a little with the kale satayed salads I've been making and come up with this one:

Raisins and Apples and Kale, oh my!
A Sarah-Lyn original recipe :)

- 5-6 leafy branches of fresh kale
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tsp apple cidar vinegar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of raisins (I used golden raisins)
- 1/4 block of firm tofu (for added protein, optional)

1. Wash, dry and chop Kale into pieces.
2. Scrub kales in olive oil then add to frying pan, satay at med-high for about 5 minutes.
3. Add cinnamon and apple cidar vinegar, mixing well and sataying for another minute.
4. Add the tofu.  Satay long enough until the kale is warm and darker green but not burnt or soupy - or until however you like it.
5. Add the apples and raisins last, remove from heat.
6. Stir just enough to mix it up and serve.  Enjoy!
Not as tasty as the Cranberry Kale salad but still yummy and filling, could add more cinnamon for a stronger spicy flavour.


I didn't want to leave breakfast out of the mix, so this morning I made this:

Raw Granola with Fruit
Original recipe from the book The Raw 50 by Carol Alt

1/4 cup raw rolled oats, soaked overnight and drained
1/4 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight and drained
Small handful of raisins, mix of yellow and brown
1/3 cup dried cranberries
Seasonal berries or sliced fruit of your choice
Raw honey to taste
1 cup of raw milk (optional)

In a bowl, mix together the rolled oats, almonds, raisins and cranberries.  Top the mixture with your choice of fruit and drizzle with honey to taste.  Add raw milk or Almond milk if desired.


_____________________________

Need a coffee break? Visit i bake cupcakes blog today for my Dark Cherry Mocha cupcake recipe.