Vegan Quiche & Haircuts

Recently made, recently devoured, recently loved! ...

Spinach Quiche
Original recipe from 500 Vegan Recipes book

For the crust:
2 cups light spelt flour
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp creamy natural cashew butter
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 tbsp agave nectar (optional)
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

For the Filling:
1 lb (455g) firm or extra-firm silken tofu
2 tbsp nondairy butter
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
3 tbsp spelt flour
2 tbsp ground pecans
1/2 tsp fine sea salt, to taste
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried minced onion
2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

1. Preheat oven to 375F and lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Make the crust: Combine all the flour, cashew butter and salt together in a food processor.  Add the agave, if using, and the milk, a little at a time, until dough forms.

3. Roll out the dough as thinly as possible and fit to the pie plate.  Prick the crust with a fork to prevent air bubbles.  Set aside

4. Make the filling: Combine all ingredients - except the spinach - together in a food processor.  Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides occasionally.

5. Add the spinach to the mix, pulse just a few times to combine.  Pour the filling into the pie crust.

7. Bake for 40 minutes or until the edges of the crust are golden brown and the filling is set.  Let stand for 10 minutes on a wire rack before slicing and serving.

Yields: 6 servings

A recent even in my life that I'd like to share in hopes to inspire others to do the same.  I'd been growing my hair just over four years now, always with the thought that I would one day donate it to cancer.  The day came a few weeks ago.
This is the before shot - hair in length from my neck down about 14 inches total and cutting it, could not come soon enough!

The cut!

I'll admit, I was very nervous, didn't know how I would look with short hair again, kept having horrible flashbacks of my boyish haircut days and on my face, it's not a good look! At least not back then it wasn't but I had no idea how I would look today with short hair.

So turns out, I looked okay :)  The haircut, no big deal in the end and I knew it was for a good cause.


So why measure, cut off and bread my hair?

There are many organizations out there that accept hair donations to make wings for people with cancer, like women and children specifically.  I choose to donate my hair through Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program.  To learn more about them or how you can donate, follow the link.

In the end I not only felt great about donating my hair, even after four years of growing very attached to it, I felt amazing with my fresh new look and haircut, plus it always helps to have a boyfriend who can't stop starring at you because you look even hotter now then you did before lol (love ya Mike).  I only hope that my donation can help make a difference to some amazing woman out there.

Cheers!

 

Please visit my blog next week, I will review how you can make easy Eco-friendly Christmas gifts for friends and family this year!