Might as Well Go All the Way?!


Sometime last year I tried eating gluten-free, as much as possible, but when I decided to be strictly vegan I decided I need my wheat man! I don't have celiac disease so what the heck, I'm okay to eat wheat, right?

Well I'm sure many can argue the healthy advantages to both sides and I'm not saying that I'm strictly eating gluten-free but I have been wanting to incorporate it into my vegan baking - at least better then I had been.

Found the perfect book to start me off: Flying Apron's Gluten-free & Vegan Baking Book


Carob Chip Cookies 
adapted from recipe on page. 42
  • 2 3/4 cup gluten-free flour mix
  • 1.5 cup plus 1 tbsp garbanzo bean flour (a.k.a. chickpea flour)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup organic cane sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 cup carob "chocolate" chips (I use carob to reduce the caffeine and I have yet to find dairy-free chocolate chips in this city!)
  • 3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional - I omitted them)
  • cocoa powder for dusting afterward (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Combine the the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate large bowl combine canola oil, sugar and vanilla - mixing very well (can use a stand mixer for this one, I didn't).
4. Add the dry mixture alternating with the almond milk to the wet mixture, combining well with each new addition.  The mixture should stiffen up a bit.
5. Stir in the chips and nuts if using.
6. Scoop the dough onto greased or parchment-lined baking sheets with an ice cream scoop.
7. Bake until golden and slightly firm to the touch, about 17 minutes.  For a nice touch, dust some cocoa powder to the tops of the cookies while they are still hot.