Boxer's Diet Week 3 - Gotta Have Protein

When you're not eating meat or fish and trying to eat a low-carb, low-sugar diet getting enough protein can be a tricky one.  Where I get most of my protein? Egg whites, tofu and beans ... mmmm beans.

However, for a quick snack it is sometimes easier to eat a protein bar.  There are SO many of them out there on the market but honestly, I personally dislike most of them.  Besides lacking in good flavour most of them are loaded with carbs, fat and are so unnaturally processed and loaded with chemicals that you really don't know what you're eating!

Recently I discovered one of the best protein bars - all natural, gluten-free, low-carb, low-sugar, low-fat, vegan, with a somewhat high amount of protein - just amazing!  They're called The Simply Bar and for me they're perfect.  They are light and taste great, I sometimes eat two at a time especially before a workout cause I know I'll burn it off easily.


Besides protein bars, the other alternative is protein shakes or drinks, which again I personally have a hard time swallowing because most of them taste digusting! One brand I do like however, because it is again all natural, healthy, gluten-free and entirely plant based is Brendan Brazier's Vega brand.

I buy the small 27g packets first to see how I like the flavour, there are many flavours to choose from so I would suggest starting with the one serving packet to see which flavour you like best.


Since I am not a fan of drinking protein drinks, natural or not, I decided to be clever and make my own protein/engery bars or in this case hearts!  I used two berry flavoured Vega protein powder packs (54g total) and followed one of Brendan Brazier's recipes in his Thrive Diet book, with some slight alterations to fit my diet.  Here's the recipe:

Green and Lean Protein Heart Bars
(original recipe Chocolate Blueberry Energy Bars from The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier
- 3/4 cups soaked dates
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 54g Vega Berry flavoured protein powder
- 1/4 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice

1. Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until well combined and the mixture balls up into dough form.


2. Over wax paper, press the batter down flat but keeping a thick layer.  I used a heart shaped cookie cutter to make my bars


They came out mostly dark green because of the vega powder, it's entirely plant based so although the colour may seem strange these babies taste amazing!

They also make a fantastic raw dessert (post-workout)!