Super Food Part II: Citrus Fruit



Another amazing super food I'd like to share with you and one of my favourites: citrus fruit, in particular, grapefruit!  Citrus is not only amazing for its rich nutritious value (Vitamin C anyone) but they are also fat-burning foods.

Best time of day I find to enjoy any citrus fruits is in the early hours, for breakfast or as a morning snack, and I especially love a lemon slice in tea.

So really, why is it so great (or why I say it is), here's the low-down (don't quote me on this but I can believe it):
  • citrus fruit also contains many citrus flavonoids and phytochemicals that help protect our bodies from disease - not a cure but it certainly helps!
  • All citrus fruits contain valuable fiber, especially in the membranes separating the sections and in the white part of the rind - good thing it's often added to my baked goods

  • Citrus also helps prevent stomach cancer and cancers of the mouth and larynx - more heroic work

  • Citrus fruits are also a good source of fiber, which will help keep blood sugar levels under control - which is why they help keep your waistline in check, they help you feel fuller, longer
Some vegan friendly ways to enjoy citrus in your diet ...
    1. A fantastic morning cleanse option that I like to implement from time to time (ideally I would like to do this everyday) is before you start your breakfast, squeeze about 1/2 a lemon into 1 cup of fresh water and drink it down.  A friend got me onto it, it's a great way to start your day and lemon water is good for your stomach, your skin, teeth, throat and it helps with weight-loss
    2. Add a few slices of oranges or grapefruit in your green salad.  I try to eat a grapefruit as a snack from time to time, it's especially nice when you feel parched.  You can also just add the lemon or orange zest to your salad or dressing.

    3. Make a big Vitamin C fruit salad with orange, grapefruit, kiwi, mango and a dash of lemon or lime juice.

    4. If all else fails, a gin and lime juice before bed can do wonders to help you sleep! ;)
    Cheers!